Planning content for restaurants can be hard. The problem is knowing what type of content you should post and what content will get more engagement. Marketing your business should be a top priority to attract new customers. In this article we will give you ideas of what content you should use and how to bring more engagement and get new followers to your restaurant business page. Below you can find the best Instagram post ideas for restaurants, but they really can work for any social media platform, including Facebook and Twitter.
The menu is what you’ll end up posting about the most as it’s the main weapon of any restaurant. Below you’ll find ideas about what to post on your Instagram page.
- Menu in its entirety – Posting your entire menu when you start out can be a good idea. It shows your customers what you’re all about without them having to go to your website. You can post it in form of several Stories, or like carousel in a feed.
- The most popular dishes
- Vegetarian/Vegan/Gluten free dishes – Its important to note that you cater for people with allergies!
- Low Calorie menu
- New Items
- Poll / Feedback if your customers feel like there is a dish which will perfectly fit your restaurant.
- Recipes; Especially during pandemic that was very good idea, so people can still be connected to your restaurant, and cook dishes you serve at home.
Specials and promotions
The next type of content you can use is commercial. Commercial content brings together all the restaurant’s promotions and advertising. But if you start to advertise too much, there’s a chance that your audience will find it excessive and annoying.
- Restaurant specials
- Specials available only to followers – If you cater to just your followers you have more chance of getting traffic.
- Loyalty program
- Promotions aimed at increasing traffic on dead days
Social media contests are still one of the best ways to interact with your audience as they can help increase followers and page engagement. You don’t have to do anything fancy, you can keep it simple and the ‘prize’ doesn’t have to be anything too big.
- Tag your friend
- Share the photo of the dish and tag the restaurant
- Come up with a name for a new dish
- Predict the outcome of the sports event / elections / Love Island winner…
- Finish the phrase
- Cross marketing contests with partners and friends of the restaurant
Make sure to clearly state the rules and focus on your target audience group. For example, you don’t want vegans to follow if you don’t cater for them. Or invite sports fans who love to drink, if you are family type of restaurant where alcohol is not served.
Instagram stories is a great way to interact with your audience and create new followers. The daily audience of stories is already 400 million people and its constantly growing. Using polls, you can interact with your audience quickly and easily, but also you get a ready made marketing tool for researching public opinion.
- Voting for one of the two dishes
- True or False facts about some ingredients
- How much should this dish cost
- How do you eat/drink this or that dish? For example, hot or cold.
- Ask the audience
- Absurd and interesting polls
- Guess which dish pairs with which wine
Events are a fun way to make exciting and vivid content. You can create an event in your restaurant or use an event outside of your restaurant to advertise yourself. By increasing the attendance of events outside your restaurant, you increase your traffic.
- Performances by artists
- Wine tastings
- Themed parties
- Calendar Holidays
- Guests’ Birthdays
- Special offers for celebrations
- Any sporting, music or food events
Its important for your business to keep up to date with what’s going on in the world. By expressing your citizenship on environmental protection and supporting the local community in one way or another, you are guaranteed to receive social approval and help people around you.
- Help for shelters
- Help for orphanages
- Help for animal shelters
- Participation in recycling and waste recycling programs
- Raise money for charities
Photos or stories of your visitors are something that will show your audience that you care. It shows that you have a relationship with your customers, that most restaurants don’t. Remember to always ask permission for posting something of your customers.
- Promote user generated content – Repost or share anything that your audience has posted about your restaurant. This can also include bloggers or food Instagram pages.
- Public visitor testimonials
- Take pictures of celebrities who come into the restaurant
- Focus on your patrons
- Show the restaurant during busy hours (when you have a lot of customers)
View this post on Instagram
Your employees are one of the main assets of your business and its important to show your customers this.
- Introduce each member of the team
- Show their culinary skills
- Publicly thank one of your team members
- Publish information about the restaurant
- Use your social media as a platform for investing into your personal branding
Behind the scenes
Go backstage and show the customers the kitchen, the prep and everything else. It’s important to erase boundaries and get closer to the viewer as this will create a good relationship.
- Share a photo of you and your supplier
- Show the preparation of a dish in the kitchen
- Share funny videos/photos of the staff
- Show yourself making the dish and plating it up
- Stock deliveries
- Any everyday struggles like floodings, broken wine bottle, etc. This will create sympathy.
Information about the restaurant
Nearly all restaurants advertise a lot on their social media, which can repel their followers. Don’t make all your content commercial, instead tell the news of your restaurant and how it works.
- Facts from the history of your restaurants creation
- Any awards your restaurant has received
- Anything new happening
- Share some tips
- Explain the process of ordering dishes online for collection or delivery (if applicable)
- Promote jobs applications
- Tell the audience about your other social media accounts
- Memes or funny videos
- Use trending hashtags
- Publish content with animals
- Use quotes
- Make live videos of the restaurant (cooking, visitors eating, any events)
- Create nice backdrops for pictures
- Post about giveaways
- Comment on customers posts and reply to their messages
- Use relevant hashtags on your posts to get more traffic
Instagram marketing is a great way to boost traffic to your page. By joining the Instagram craze, you create a large channel to communicate with your followers and let them see what your restaurant is all about. Don’t just post FOOD FOOD FOOD on your restaurant Instagram account, mix it with some behind the scenes and become real friends with your followers.